Firstly, can I say that Markus Zusak is lovely, cute and funny. I loved hearing him talk about writing at the Fremantle Children's Literature Centre last year.
So, I WANTED to like this book. I know that MANY people love it and much has been written about it, so I'm going to be brief in explaining why I don't.
- The narrative point of view, while original, didn't really do much for me. I found the foreshadowing unnecessary and disruptive.
- This was a LONG book which needed editing. Apparently it started out as a novella but ended up at 584 pages!
- While I loved some of the characters, Rudy and Max, I struggled with Liesel. I'm not really sure why.
- Another book on the holocaust? Really?
- The colour of the sky- WAY too many times.
Until then, happy tales,